Tuesday, September 9, 2008

US Open 2008: Final Thoughts

The last slam is finally over. None of my favorite players won (Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Safin, Gasquet) although I did pretty good in predicting my winners especially on the women's game. If you have been following my blog, I guessed correctly the 4 semifinalists in the women's game (Jankovic, S williams, Safina, Dementieva), 2 finalists (S Williams and Jankovic) and the eventual champion (S Williams). Serena Williams has now won 9 majors at the age of 26 and is now the best tennis player in the women's game. She last held the top spot way back in 2003. Wow!

Btw, check out Jankovic post-final match interview. She is hilarious. Endearing even. :-)

I didn't fare well in the men's game though. I only guessed 3 of the 4 semifinalists and didn't get one right on who would fight it off in the finals (Nole beats Rafa). Worst of all, Roger Federer won his 13th slam and 5th straight US Open title. I'm not a huge Federer fan although I have to admit - he is a fucking tennis god. He is now one shy of tying Sampras' 14 majors and will definitely surpass him in that department. Andre Agassi may be right, Federer may win 17 majors before he retires. If I remember it right, Sampras won his 14th Slam in his 30s (or was it in his late 20s) and Roger is still 27. He has many more majors to participate him before he hangs up his record for good. :-(

Men's Singles:Roger Federer beats Andy Murray (6-2, 7-5, 6-2)
Women's Singles:Serena Williams beats Jelena Jankovic (6-4, 7-5)

No comments: