Sunday, April 26, 2009

Leaving Las Vegas

Last night, on a friend's birthday dinner, was my first time to play mahjong. The birthday celebrator taught us the mechanics. Madali lang pala. I learned about flowers, sticks, characters, circles(dots?), chow, ping, chang. We played 7 games. I won twice. Not bad.

But before that they wanted to play pusoy dos. I said I didn't know how. They suggested tong-its. I said I didn't know that too. They laughed. Ano lang ba alam mo they asked. Solitaire and unggoy-unngoy (pare-pares) lang I answered. I shrugged. I think my parents did not know how. And I was too obedient a kid to ask an uncle or a neighbor to teach me the rules of the game.

I did learn how to play cards many years ago when someone taught me during an outing so that I could join in on the fun. I didn't commit the mechanics to memory.

So there I was in my late twenties sitting in the living room couch with my former officemates bottle of beer in hand sheepishly smiling. Then the host saved my ass. He suggested mahjong. So we did. But there was no real money involved.

Another group a few feet from us played poker. Then they switched to Monopoly. Others took turns playing the piano. Others, myself included, also took turns checking our Facebook accounts using a computer kiosk that was set-up, I think, just for that night.

It was fun. Too bad it had to end.

12 comments:

Visual Velocity said...

Kasama ba dito si ex-officemate na binanggit mo sa previous post mo? Yung mahilig manood ng GMA at Starcinema na mga pelikula? Ehehehe.

The Scud said...

andy > hindi sya dumating. nabasa nya ata ang blog ko. nyahaha.

gillboard said...

di ko na maalala kung pano maglaro ng mahjong. Alala ko parang tong-its lang yung mechanics nun...

Kevin said...

High School pa lang Tong-Its boy na ko!

Visual Velocity said...

@The Scud: Ehehehehehe! Ikaw naman kasi, ang lakas mo magparinig; yan tuloy, hindi sumulpot. :p

The Scud said...

gillboard > ganun ba? tong-its ba ung may pares-pares? flush (flash?)? straight?

kevin > good for you! hehe.

andy > eh di mag sorry sya. nyahaha...

len said...

Ungguy-ungguyan at pekwa lang ang kaya kong card games. hehe

Laking probinsya ako kaya Bingo lang ang alam kong laruin. nyahaha

The Scud said...

len > ano ung pekwa? alam ko din ang bingo! dyan ako sumusugal (ng patago) dati. hehe.

atticus said...

leaving las vegas is one of the saddest movies i've seen. i don't remember the plot that much anymore, but i remember how i felt after watching it. devastating.

i also remember the lines at the traffic light. something like "the light turns red, you stop, i go. that's how it works."

hindi ako movie addict. :)

Raft3r said...

hehe
vegas style
i like

masarap mag mahjong
pero dapat magaling kang kumapa
hehe

have a great week ahead, scud!

The Scud said...

atticus > ayaw mo tlg ako tantanan ha. hehe. di ko pa napapanood leaving las vegas. mapanood nga para lalo ako madepress. :p

raft3r > magaling tayo sa kapaan. lol. sana nga this will be a great week. kahit good pwede na. :D

escape said...

hahaha.... i played mahjong as early as ten years old. my parents dont play but one of my uncle is playing and one time we were taught how to play it with all my cousins there. it was one great night.

i just learned pusoy dos last year. and now im an addict. i usually play that when im out with friends for an overnight.