Tuesday, November 4, 2008

For Love Or Money

I had a chat with a good friend from college yesterday and we got to talk about sharing what we have with our respective families. We talked about giving a part of our monthly income without being asked. We agreed that we wouldn't feel complete and satisfied if we don't share what we have with them. Naghirap din naman sila to send us to school. We talked about havng litle savings and even though it saddens us to see such a measly amount on our bank accounts afetr years of hard work at least we could sleep at night contented and at peace with ourselves.

Another childhood friend, during our annual text marathon, told me that I probably have lots of zeros on my account. I enumerated to this friend of mine where my salary was going. My friend told me that I am a good son and that the Lord will reward me a hundredfold someday. Sometimes when I think about my predicament I remember my friend said and tell myself "Kelan kaya darating ang biyaya na sinasabi nya". Tao lang ako. Nagtatanong. But then I remember. I never expected or demanded anything in return. I don't count how much money I have given or how many gadgets I have given up of owning. I don't really give a damn. It's just money. Mas importante nakakatulong ako sa kanila sa abot ng aking makakaya.

You know what, the best feeling is when my parents, my brother, my niece, my cousins call or text me and say their thank yous. Or when they would all gather in the airport to fetch me I fly home for a visit. They don't do that to my other relatives. Nothing can top that. Not even all the IPhones or IMacs or Nikon D90s in the world.

No comments: