Friday, September 12, 2008

Songs for No One

Is the Philippine music industry in dire straits that they now constantly churn out revivals of saccharine ballads from centuries past or hit songs from the r&b and pop genres? I know this has been going on for years but these past few weeks I've been barraged with these songs on radio and tv. I was preparing my things for work this morning while the tv was tuned to mtv when bam! I saw Nina sitting on a chair, twisting her legs at an incredible angle like she was a rag doll, and sang her cover of Aerosmith's I Don't Want To Miss A Thing. I don't know with you but this "singer" has been churning out "revival" albums from Nina Live!, to an album entirely devoted to Barry Manilow, and just recently another album of Dionne Warwick songs. wtf!

To make matters worse, the fx I was riding in to get to work was tuned to an fm station where sheryn regis was belting out an old song, seemingly determined to damage her vocal chords for good. Good riddance.

Here's hoping on my way home tonight I won't hear Miss Ganda's Payong (Umbrella) or any songs of that type (I refuse to call it a genre). Although I don't mind hearing the acoustic revival of Gary Valenciano's Di Bale Na Lang. Its quite good but then again that's just an exception to my rant.

No comments: